Thursday, November 8, 2012

So You Wanna Know Who I Am Eh??


                Who are you? A question that is often asked, usually people are only implying they want to know your name. They don’t REALLY want to know who you are. Your past, you experiences, what you want to be when you’re all grown up… that stuff probably doesn’t interest just any person off the street…  But I suppose since you asked and I’m supposed to have 750 words I’m guessing I should get into a little more detail than JUST my name.

                I am Taylar Rathbun. First born daughter of Ryan and Jennifer Rathbun, sister of Jeris Rathbun, and hater of ALL spiders... I just turned 18 today! Well if you’re reading this after November 8, 2012 then that’s kind of a lie. But if you are then awesome! Yes indeed I am a whole 18 years old, but I can’t say that I feel any different. As far as I am really concerned about it it’s just another birthday. Everyone gets so excited about turning 18, but I don’t understand why. In Nebraska you are technically not a “big kid” until you’re 19, you can’t play the lottery until your 19, basically the only thing you can really do as an 18 year old is to legally smoke or chew tobacco… And that really doesn’t appeal to me so hence why it’s just another day in my life... Not to sound like I’m ungrateful for another year of life! I am far from! I’m grateful for everyday that God has given me and want to spend it in a positive way. I won’t mislead you and act like I do something amazingly productive every day! But I at least try to be a good person to the people around me.

                Being good to people is really important to me. It hasn’t always been though, back when I was younger I was kind of an outsider. I was shy, pretty awkward, and I just wasn’t a popular kid! I was kind of mean and resentful and I was hurtful to people that didn’t deserve my wrath… But I have grown up and matured and realized that you need to be good to the people around you. You don’t know what kind of pain is going on in that person’s life and chances are they really don’t need your attitude! I really like to think that I have become a better person, and I think that is why I am a happier person! Sometimes I do slip, but I am only human. I learn from those mistakes and I find a way to better improve myself.

                Something else that is a big priority in my life is my religion. Like I said when I was younger I felt out of place and was resentful about it, but I started to get more involved with God and it has really helped me feel like I had a place. I have become a more religious and more positive person. Most people don’t really see me as a religious person, I don’t really know why but I guess I can go with it??? All that matters is that I know my relationship with God.

                Something that I always must have in my life is music! I love to listen to it, play it, sing it, I just love it all! I have been in chorus since 8th grade and have just had the bravery to be in Rhapsody this year. I never really had the confidence to try out for it before last year but at the time I figured I’ll be a senior I won’t have the option to do it again. So I tried out… and got chewed out for not trying out sooner by Mr. Frew which I think can be taken as a sort of compliment.  What a lot of people don’t know about me is that I can actually play quite a few instruments: the piano, violin, viola, and the guitar. But to be completely honest I am a wee bit out of practice on them. It really does make me sad that I don’t have time to just play, but as they say, “Life just happens!”

                Well anyway, I don’t really know if this helps to tell you who I am but I did try! To be completely honest I really don’t know who I am yet. The way that I look at is that I’m in progress, and probably will always be… And I’m quite alright with it.

               

2 comments:

  1. Taylar,

    I was going to point out that you could vote at 18 but your birthday was two days after the election! I suppose if you imbibe in alcohol 21 is a big deal, but if you don't then it too is just another day. :) You are such a cool, calm and collected writer!

    Dr. English

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taylar,

    I love reading stuff you write. You have your own quirky way of writing that makes things interesting yet you get to the point. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete